Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Tiatrists keeping fingers crossed over Tiatr Academy
Tiatrists keeping fingers crossed over Tiatr Academy
by ERWIN FONSECA
The state government has decided to set up a tiatr academy with an initial grant of Rs 15 lakh.
This decision has given some recognition to the Goan tiatr, but there is a mixed feeling among tiatrists and many are keeping their fingers crossed over this decision as they are skeptical about its outcome.
Goan tiatr has a history of 116 years. Prior to this the Zagor and Khell were quite popular. This art form was mostly prevailing in North and South Goa respectively.
However, on 27th April 1892, a young 27 year-old lad from Assagao in Bardez, Mr Lucasinho Rebeiro staged a Konkani translation 'Italian Bhurgo' of a popular Italian opera at that time.
Though Mr Rebeiro staged this first tiatr�at New Alfred Theatre in Bombay it was�a mere translation.
It was only after Mr Joao Agostinho Fernandes from Margao, known as Pai Tiatrist staged his original script penned down entirely by him� with the name �Sundori Cabelchi� that the Goan Konkani tiatr in its unique art form began its journey.
Various stage artists who surfaced on the Konkani stage from time to time shone not only at the state level but even at the international level. Tiatr was taken to each and every corner of the world by these tiatrists.
It was in 1956 that 'khell tiatr or non-stop tiatr' came into existence. Like films there is no retake here therefore a stage actor has to be thorough with his or her dialogues as he is to deliver them live on stage in front of an audience.
This art form has been plagued with various difficulties and there was a plea from the tiatrists to the government to declare this as a small scale industry. Some tiatrists are happy that to some extent the present Digambar Kamat-led government has �shown some interest for the betterment of the tiatr but some are quite skeptical about the decision and are keeping their fingers crossed.
It is a welcome step, many say while for others it is something that will be known only when it becomes a reality.
The Goan tiatr has always been getting a raw deal from successive governments inspite of the tiatrists facing a lot of hardship.
Staging a drama for there hours in our Goan halls which sometimes do not have proper infrastructure and to take these dramas to villages is not a child�s play as big costs are involved. Yet some of these shows sometimes cross a century.
We are glad that atleast now the government has given some recognition to Goan tiatr by deciding to set up a tiatr academy. This is a welcome move and should help the tiatr in the long run, felt Mr Tomazinho Cardozo pointing out that even youngsters would now get a boost to join tiatr.
He, however, felt that even financially some solace should be given to the tiatrists.
Veteran stage actress and director of TACT - Theatre and Cultural Training Institute that has its centre in Margao and trains youngsters to join tiatr, Ms Sharon Mazarello expressed her happiness as well as her reservation about the move.
We have been told that a tiatr academy will be formed, but when it will be formed and in what way it benefits tiatr is what is left to be seen. We do not want lip service but some concrete action. Promises have always been made to develop tiatr but nothing has happened in reality� she regretted.
Ms Mazarello felt that only when the tiatr academy is actually formed would it speak of the government's commitment to the language of Konkani and hoped that the decision would be a reality soon.
She is coincidently involved with her first Konkani film production. Many tiatrists have concurred with the views of Ms Mazarello saying that some years back a Congress Cultural Cell under the leadership of former Navelim MLA Mr Luisinho Faleiro was formed to work for the development of the tiatr and Konkani films but nothing really worked out. Popular 'King of Centuries' Mr Roseferns says that he had always been demanding a tiatr academy and a small scale industry status for Konkani tiatr but the latest government move of formation of tiatr academy though a good move was not taken by taking them into confidence.
We were completely in the dark neither do we know when the academy will actually be formed or who will be its members. Finally it should work for the welfare of Goan tiatr. Therefore what we can do now is only hope that it will serve the right cause.
- ► November (8)
- ► October (46)
- ► September (80)
- ► August (98)
- ► July (64)
- ► June (36)
- ► May (45)
- ► October (8)
- ► September (15)
- ► August (15)
- ► July (16)
- ► June (23)
- ► May (46)
- ► December (29)
- ► November (49)
- ► October (87)
- ► September (24)
- ► August (25)
- ► July (72)
- ► June (32)
- Romi Konkani move elicits mixed reaction
- Idea in Motion to set up 'Tiatr Academy' - CM
- Tiatr academy will be set up soon
- Tiatr Academy will give boost to tiatrist
- 50 golden years celebrations of Santan H Viegas
- Equal status sought for Roman script of Konkani
- Rs. 15 Lakh sanctioned by Goa Govt.
- Goa Budget 2008-09 highlights allocation to set-up...
- Tomazinho Cardozo is appointed Tiatr Academy presi...
- Govt scripting yet another row over Tiatr Academy?...
- Goan Tiatr Academy
- Tiatrists keeping fingers crossed over Tiatr Acade...
- Goa Govt. to set up a Tiatr Academy
- Konkani Tiatr Academy to be formed in Jan: CM
- Tiatr Academy of Goa to be inaugurated by Master V...
- Tiatr Akademi - A Big Responsibility
- ▼ Feb 11 (16)
- A big e-welcome to you. Tumcam Maie-mogacho ieukar. Enjoy Life - This is not a rehearsal! Konkani uloi, boroi, vach ani samball - sodankal. Hich Goenchi osmitai ani amchem khalxelponn. Goenchi amchi Konkani bhas! Ekvottachem saddon Goenkaranchem. This is Gaspar Almeida from Parra, Bardez, Goa, based in Kuwait and am connected with the www.goa-world.com website created by Ulysses Menezes, and as Moderator of the famous first of its kind Gulf-Goans e-Newsletter (since 1994) and The Goan Forum and several Goan and Indian associations and forums and e-forums in Goa, India, Kuwait, The Middle East and worldwide.